Cauliflower rice can be a lifesaver for weight loss surgery patients. It is low in carbohydrates, high in nutrition and best of all it tastes good.
If you’ve had bariatric surgery your program may recommend refraining from rice for up to six months after surgery. Rice has a tendency to expand in the stomach and can leave you feeling uncomfortable or worse yet vomit after bariatric surgery. Some bariatric surgery centers recommend not adding rice back into your diet because it can be starchy without a lot of nutrition.
This is where cauliflower rice comes in. It can be an excellent substitute for meals that require rice but it won’t leave you overly full or overloaded with carbs.
I’ll admit when I first heard about cauliflower rice I thought it would be too much work. But surprisingly it is easy and fast.
This past week I made a video in my FB Group on how to make cauliflower rice. It took less than 15 minutes to prepare and cook (plus I was jabbering, ha!). But if you do not feel like making it from scratch there are lots of pre-made options out there that you can find in the produce or frozen section of your grocery store. Cauliflower rice is an excellent choice to add to your bariatric friendly grocery list.
The recipe featured today is Egg Stir-Fried Cauliflower Rice. Eggs are one of my Top 10 Dietitian Approved to Eat After Bariatric Surgery. They are high in protein and the yolk contains Vitamin E, choline and iron among other nutrients. You could easily add another egg to get more protein to help control your hunger.
You can make this dish with any vegetable in your fridge but the one featured here is made with onion, peas, carrots and celery. I added soy sauce, sesame oil and ground ginger for flavoring.
You could also switch out egg for chicken if your heart desires. The key message here is that this recipe is very adaptable to what is in your fridge.
Egg Stir-Fried Cauliflower Rice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cauliflower rice
- ¼ onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- ½ c frozen peas
- ½ Tbsp soy sauce (tamari sauce or Bragg liquid aminos for gluten-free)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil over medium heat. While heating mix eggs in small bowl. Add eggs to pan and cook through. About 3-5 minutes. Remove egg from pan and set aside in small bowl.
- If pan is dry add a tad more olive oil. Add onion, celery and carrot. Sauté for about 3-5 minutes. Add cauliflower rice and cook for another 2 minutes. Next add frozen peas and cover with lid for another 3 minutes.
- Once peas and cauliflower are cooked add soy sauce and sesame oil. Then sprinkle with ground ginger.
- Add back in eggs and mix around. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
I think you will love this dish! I was pleasantly surprised how much it tasted like egg fried rice. It took less than 30 minutes to make and that included prep time for cauliflower rice.
Helping you find balance on and off your plate,
Kristin Willard RDN